Recipe Contributed by Monika Jacobson, Registered Dietician Nutritionist (www.eatmovethrivespokane.com)
Salmon is a superfood for so many reasons. The healthy Omega-3 fats contribute to lower triglycerides, lower levels of Type 2 Diabetes, healthier blood sugar regulation, improved satiety and improved brain health! With this in mind, we are always looking for easy, cost-effective ways to incorporate more of this delicious fish into our diets. Enter these amazing gluten-free salmon sweet potato cakes! The option to use canned salmon can drastically decrease the cost associated with fresh fish, and the complex carbs from the sweet potato, healthy fat from the almond flour and fresh herbs create a rich and delicious meal that adults and kids will all enjoy!
1, 14.5 oz. canned salmon (bones are ok!) or leftover 1.5-2 cups of previously cooked salmon
1 cup cooked sweet potato/yam (canned or cook ahead)
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
zest from 1 lemon (save the juice for the yogurt sauce)
2-3 tbsp. avocado oil
Curried Yogurt Sauce
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
juice of lemon above
- Preheat the oven to 425F and cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine drained canned salmon, cooked sweet potato, eggs, almond flour, parsley, scallions, paprika, salt, hot sauce, black pepper and lemon zest. Mix well with fingers and break up all the bones (extra Vitamin D and calcium!).
- Brush the parchment paper with avocado oil, then use 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the cakes and drop them onto the parchment lined baking sheet. The cakes should be about 2 inches wide and about ¾- inch thick.
- Brush the tops of the cakes with avocado oil, then bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare the yogurt sauce. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and stir well.
- After 20 minutes in the oven, carefully flip each cake with a spatula and return to the oven. Bake an additional 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve each salmon cake with a dollop of yogurt sauce, a wedge of lemon and a bed of greens or roasted veggies.